Learn More About Our Agriculture Tax Dollars
THE FREE MARKET
- Gallo Wines has implemented integrated pest management (ladybugs, bats, hedgerows for birds, etc.) and tractor weeding (vs. herbicides) on their 10,000-acre vineyards, i.e., ORGANIC FARMING, because it's cost-effective.
- Organic food, completely UNSUBSIDIZED, is now a more-than-$50 billion-a-year industry (10% – 20% annual growth). 2017 current number.
- Many small organic farms (less than 100 acres, largely UNSUBSIDIZED) report annual incomes of $50,000 – $75,000.
- Vast majority of food grown on earth is 100% organic; most of the world's small farmers cannot afford pesticides—as in Africa, Asia, India, South America, etc. In the United States, middle-class farmers have decreased to just 6% of total farms. In 2014, 40% of all farmland is rented or leased; farmland continues to consolidate into larger and larger big corporate-owned enterprises.
- Amazon owner Jeff Bezos bought Whole Foods Market (grocery stores) for $13.7 billion.
- Whole Foods, an organic/natural food store, chain came to Chicago in 1992; local annual sales are currently more than $1 billion.