Information About Our Country’s Energy Tax Dollars
THE FREE MARKET
- The First National Bank Plaza spent $400,000 for energy-efficient lighting; annual savings = $500,000.
- Westin Hotel in San Francisco spent $75,000 on energy-efficient lighting; annual savings = $85,000.
- Verizon spent $25 million on an energy efficiency retrofit and saved $100 million over the next three years.
- The Ford Motor Plant (formerly) in Chicago Heights spent $840,000 for a solar wall, which offset heating costs; first year savings were $350,000; following year (with more insulation) savings = $375,000.
- The wind turbines currently operating in California produce enough electricity to power more than the number of homes in San Francisco and are not federally subsidized.
- Bigelow, a Chicago-based home builder, has built more than 1,000 homes in the Chicago area with no furnaces; annual heating bills are $200.